Leadership and management - online resources & useful links
JISC Info Kits - online guides on a range of leadership and management topics
Leadership and Management (general)
- Analytical Tools and Techniques
- Leadership & Management Standard diagnostic tool
- Guidance and advice on how to Manage Performance
- Leadership Resource Centre - Supervisors will find information here on how to look after and motivate their staff effectively. (Follow the enrolment instructions.)
- Managing Staff Performance - This website gives useful advice and guidance on getting the best out of staff and managing the contribution they make.
- University of Leeds Policies and Guidance - useful documents for anyone supervising/leading or managing others
Leadership and Management Qualifications
The Lifelong Learning Centre offers a Diploma of Higher Education in Business Management which is Chartered Management Institute accredited and fees can be deferred until 2016. Click here for details.
- Strategy infoKit
[printable version at http://www.jiscinfonet.ac.uk/infokits/strategy/strategy-infokit-printable.pdf]
- Scenario Planning infoKit
- Risk management infoKit
- All JISC infoKits
General Leadership and Management Resources
Mentoring and Coaching
- Staff counselling and psychological support service
Confidential University of Leeds service which facilitates the development of emotional and social competencies for staff in leadership or management roles or staff who have particular psychological challenges in their work or working relationships
- Stress Management Resources from Mind Tools
- Businessballs - free organizational and personal development
- Calm on-line resource to help manage anxiety, tension and stress
Learning & Teaching related
These case studies, developed with funding from the Leadership Foundation for Higher Education, are designed to be used in training and developing future leaders and managers in learning and teaching (L&T) in universities.
The case studies look at realistic and demanding scenarios at three organisational ‘levels’ within universities: institutional, faculty and school/department. They are applicable to the following roles which require leadership and management attributes and competencies:
- institutional level: chair/member of the university L&T committee
- faculty level: chair/assistant dean/member of the faculty L&T committee
- school/departmental level: chair/member of the L&T committee
- module leader/programme leader/subject leader
Development for Technical Managers and Technicians
Other Useful Contacts/Links
Leadership Foundation for Higher Education
A range courses on various management and leadership topics.
- Investors in People
- JISCinfonet - Advice for managers in HE (see details below of JISC infoKits)
- The Observatory on Borderless Higher Education
The Observatory on Borderless HE offers a unique service - it is an environmental scanning facility owned by, and run for, higher education. The Observatory aims to be an efficient and cost-effective way for subscribers to keep abreast of borderless developments globally. The term 'borderless education' encompasses a broad range of activities and developments which cross (or have the potential to cross) the traditional borders of higher education, be they geographical, sectoral or conceptual. So, for example, the Observatory will track developments in areas such as e-learning, growth in private and corporate education, developing markets and international collaboration. The University of Leeds is currently able to access the site as a member of the Worldwide Universities Network (WUN).
- Chartered Institute of Personal and Development
- Harvard Business School - Working Knowledge for Business Leaders
- British Library Management and Business Studies Portal
- Youtube video - introducing the British Library Management & Business Studies Portal
We welcome your feedback!
If you have any comments about this page or resources you would like to see included please e mail firstname.lastname@example.org