Why we use it:
Research has shown that the use of these systems offer pedagogical benefits to both the lecturer and the students.
Benefits to the students:
- Encouragement to actively think about the material being presented improving depth of learning and retention time.
- Anonymity provided by the system encourages all to participate.
- Immediate feedback given on their own understanding, as well as the possibility of benchmarking themselves against their peers.
- attending lectures becomes more interesting and fun.
Benefits to the lecturer:
- Can quickly gain a clearer understanding of the level of comprehension in the audience.
- Allows the lecturer to tailor their presentation to meet the unique needs of each audience.
- Encourages attendance for particularly "dry" subjects.
- Facilitates constructive discussion between the students themselves and also between the lecturer and the students.